Friday, May 18, 2012

New Balance + Westin?

So today I was browsing on CNN's Health page, looking for a topic that I would find interesting to write about on here, because right now I am a little bit in a hole with my own health and fitness.  I am just not sure yet where it is going, so I thought maybe I could address a topic in the media.

They had a few interesting stories, including several more "opinion" pieces relating to Dr. Sanjay Gupta's Challenge - Fit Nation 2012.  That is definitely interesting, triathalons and all, but not what I was looking for.  And then I saw an ad on the side panel of the screen.  It was an advertisement for Westin Hotel's with a pair of bright red sneakers on it. 

I definitely clicked on it.  I landed on the page that the previous link will take you to. 

The idea is that Westin hotels provides new balance gear to folks who are staying at their hotels for a nominal fee (more research needed as to what this fee actually is).  You call the front desk, request your size, and then the clothes and sneakers will be brought to your room, saving you the need to pack your workout gear when you travel, especially when you are trying to fit a few days into a carryon!  For women, they bring you a pair of crops, a sports bra, and a tech tee along with a pair of New Balance 759s, which are neutral trainers.  For me, not the shoes to do a long run it, but they will work in a pinch!

Men get a pair of shorts and a tech tee, along with the mens version of the 759s.  Both the mens and women's versions give you a brand new pair of athletic socks and the clothes are freshly laundered.  You just leave the clothes in a mesh bag when you leave.
The 759s - Source
The Westin also offers video workouts that you can do in your hotel room, as well as information about staying healthy when you are not home!

Here is an article from the WSJ about this program including some facts and stats about people who work out while traveling.  I hope to improve my workouts while I travel this summer.  We will see.  Because of the previously mentioned things, I am not sure how that will work out yet. 

According to this article on the examiner, the cost is only $5/stay or can be paid for with your hotel loyalty points (375 of them). 

One of the items that the Wall Street Journal article hits on is the "ick" factor.  These clothes and shoes are not your own.  Now, the socks are, but the rest of it has potentially been worn by someone else, even though it was washed.  I think that some people will definitely take issue with this, and while it might be gross, I do not think that I am one of those people.  They are clean, I am sure that they were washed in the same extremely hot water that my sheets were washed in, and everything was disinfected.  I mean, hotels are held to the highest standard of cleanliness, and Westin's are typically way up there.  So I think it would be ok.

What do you think?  Would you wear loaner workout gear?